Trinity Parish Church is so named because of the joining of three
churches - Wallacetown, St. Matthews and Baxter Park. The congregation
came together in Wallacetown Church and St. Matthews and Baxter
Park churches were demolished.
Wallacetown came to life at a time when there was so much promise,
with Dundee expanding and improving its industrial trade. Just 20
years before Wallactown came into being the population of Dundee
was a mere 38,000. By 1861, 20 years after the church opened, the
population had increased to 90,000, more than doubling in 40 years,
and indeed by 1870, nine years later, this had grown to 115,000.
Whether this industrial expansion was an influence on, or mere
incidental to the increase in church attendance is not clear, but
certainly the advent of the Industrial Revolution coincided with
the declared policy of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland
which, in the early part of the 19th century, decided to aim towards
more churches in populour districts to ease the demands on the existing
churches because of the marked increase in attendance at public
On 1st May 1839 Presbytery approved a site 'north east of Princes
Street' and in 1840 Wallacetown Chapel became a reality, through
the auspices of a group of young men called 'Young Men's Church
Society'. On 6th May Presbytery granted approval for pulpit supply
for the first few weeks of the birth of Wallacetown, as a mission
station. On 24th May, the church opened officially, with pulpit
supply providing temporary ministerial leadership for services of
worship until a full time minister could be appointed.
On 6th October 1840 the Rev. Patrick Miller was appointed by Presbytery
"to lecture and to preach" as the first minister of Wallacetown
Church. It is interesting to note that, when Wallacetown Church
was built, the building provided not only a 'chapel' for worship
but a schoolhouse for the education of the local parish children.
It was only many years later, when the responsibility for education
was taken over by the state, that the schoolhouse, after some renovation
and alteration, became known and utilised as church halls.
(More to be written at a later date)